Saturday, July 18, 2009


Walter Cronkite meant a lot to me. Growing up, my father worked (and continues to do so) in radio. I grew up in recording booths, between soundboards and microphones, idolizing those with the voice to reach so many people. When I was seventeen I attended the Walter Cronkite School of Broadcasting, graduating with a degree in broadcast journalism. Mr. Cronkite made it possible for me just as he had for so many others. Though as with anything worthwhile, the world of broadcasting has become saturated with greed and lust for power and influence, Walter Cronkite was the honest, genuine seed from which a wicked tree grew beyond his control. So thanks Mr. Cronkite, not for the glamorous deceit of modern broadcast news, but for influencing those that strive to better the world through communicating honesty, honestly.

Something you may not have known about Walter Cronkite was that like so many great men before and after him, he was a racecar driver; a Volvo PV444 driver to be specific. Cronkite and his team campaigned and won races at Lime Rock's "Little LeMans" in 1957, '58 and '61. Cronkite was the only finisher in a five-car team one year, taking a B-division win and placing third overall. He then went on to compete in the Trans-Canada rally.

While we are reminiscing of great men and rally driving, I'm reminded of the recent attention Ken Block has received for his series of gymkhana practice videos. Though novel in camera work and maneuvers (that take forty takes to perfect), I can't help but find myself underwhelmed when I re-watch them. Entertaining, amusing, but not thrilling. Not rallying. No, my friends, This is Rallying:



No comments:

Post a Comment